Sparkles Photoshop Action – Amazing Quality!
Simply GORGEOUS! This action generates particles, sparkles, orbs, glows, motion fx + more.
* Creates mask layers at different thicknesses of the the brushed in areas you made.
* Creates main sparkle layers that you can keep editing.
* Creates overlay effects sparkles that you can also manipulate, combine, hide (extra layers provided).
* Creates a background highlights group of the different subtle ambiance behind the sparkles.
* Creates overlay color adjustment layer for easy final touch ups.
* Creates different modes on various layers (aka hue, screen, lighten, overlay) for fine tuning.
* Creates extra particles on layers that are hidden by default, enable and experiment!
* Creates everything on top of your original image layer so you can remove/lighten any sparkle layer.
FIRST LOAD THE ACTION:
In your actions panel, there is a little drop down menu available top left – click it and choose ‘load action’ – now locate wherever it is on your machine and press enter.
STEP 1 – Canvas setup:
For best results, apply this to a canvas size of 72dpi – 2500pxl’s wide, by whatever aspect ratio high for your image (simply go to > IMAGE > IMAGE SIZE and put in 2500 for width while aspect ratio is locked)’.
So now you should have ONE background layer of your image (CTRL + SHIFT + E to flatten everything quickly first if you have to), set at 2500 wide. I designed this at that size so if you go too far outside of this size you’ll get oddly sized sparkles/effects (which, admittingly, gives some pretty great unexpected results too).
STEP 2 – Brush in your sparkle areas
Now create a new layer on top of your image background layer, and name it ‘brush’ < lower case, just like that.
On this layer, you’ll simply choose the brush tool, choose a thickness, a hardness, and start brushing in areas that you want to generate sparkles in.
It’s important to note that the transparency matters as well.
If you brush in with only 20-50% – you’ll get a subtle ambient effect, if you brush in thick areas with 0% hardness (a nice faded edge), you’ll get brighter and more prominent sparkles.
Tips: I tend to play around with brush thickness and transparency a few times per image – it kind of ‘always gets it right’, however you can get really great variation and a greater understanding of the results after you use it a few times.
A quick way to test is to simply brush in 4-6 sample spots at different thickness, strength, size, transparency, and you’ll see the effect of each. Now you can create a great ‘brush layer’ to begin to apply the effect!
STEP 3 – Play the Photoshop Action:
Choose the ‘Quick-Sparkles!’ action – and press play (you can click the dropdown arrow and watch it at work while it plays).
The process may take up to a few minutes depending on your machine – once done you’ll have a few groups and layers in each with nicely named easy to edit folder sets.
Click image to see full size/quality (new window opens).